Comprehensive Exam and Cleaning
At your first dental visit, a complete dental exam will be done by your dentist.
We collect necessary data to understand your current state of health and the physical condition of your mouth and teeth, including:
- Diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): to find decay, tumours, cysts, bone loss and tooth positions.
- Oral cancer screening: to check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: to check your gums and bone around your teeth for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Examination of tooth surfaces: to check for decay.
- Examination of existing restorations: to check conditions of your fillings, crowns, veneers etc.
- Intra-oral photos and 3D scan of your teeth to detect any underlying conditions and treatment of choice.
Dental CleaningProfessional dental cleanings (scaling, root planing and polishing) are done by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam by the dentist and:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has formed on the tooth and will be firmly attached. Calculus forms above and below the gum line, and can be removed with appropriate dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produces toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease and can affect your general health!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during toothbrushing and scaling.